So, you’re thinking about investing in a home solar system. It’s a great way to conserve energy and save money. To make the most of these key benefits, you’ll want to maximize a new system’s efficiency while minimizing the amount of energy you buy from the grid. Here are five ways you can make this happen:
1. Use Energy During Daylight Hours
Solar panels generate energy from sunlight which means they only produce electricity during the day. So, it’s logical to use this free energy when you have it – during daylight hours. Some ways you can do this include:
- Recharging devices during the day
- Using appliances like dishwashers and washing machines before dusk
- Adjust heating and cooling appliances to the desired temperature in the afternoon, so that they can be switched off in the evening
2. Do an Energy Audit
Invest in an audit of your home’s electricity use to identify areas for improvement and make necessary adjustments.
3. Reduce Electricity Consumption
Yes, this is obvious, but it’s always a good reminder to keep your energy consumption in check. Here are a few ways you can do this:
- Air dry laundry
- Turn off lights and appliances when you’re not using them
- Use fans instead of air conditioners
- Insulate your house and fill gaps and leaks
- Take shorter showers and wash clothes in cold water
- Use CFL or LED lights in your home
4. Maintain Your Home Solar System
Solar panels are most efficient when they are kept clean. Ideally, they should be cleaned every six to twelve months to keep them free of dirt, bird droppings, leaves and other debris.
5. Consider a Backup Battery
Solar battery systems are improving rapidly. And, they can help supply energy during the evening hours. They are also beneficial during a blackout.
Looking for more advice on home solar systems? Call us today!